Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Refresh zero clearance front grates/doors?

williamsem
10 years ago

Short version: can I use high temperature spray paint to paint the fireplace grills/doors?

Long version: we just converted our zero clearance fireplace to gas logs. I found a lovely rescued mantel to replace our old one and repaired/repainted it, and built a new raised hearth to match the new width (I needed to rebuild it anyway, the old mantel was a few inches too wide on each side and looked a bit stupid). So I will be putting on new tiles too.

To finish off the remodel, I wanted to get new doors and new surround/vents/louvers/thingamajigs for the front of the fireplace. But they would need to be custom, and would be about $1200. As it is, the cost of converting to the logs was a bit much given the house, but at least now we can easily use the fireplace.

Can I use high temperature paint to safely paint the outside surround and doors? It's rated up to 1200 degrees, which I would assume is much higher that the temp of the surround during use. The only glitch I have found is the surround seems to be spot welded in places, so I will have to paint some pieces outside and the ones that will not come off will have to be painted in place.

Gloss or matte? That would be the next issue. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource