Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sequoia_2007

Access Door Panels For Tiled Fireplace Surround

sequoia_2007
13 years ago

We are installing a high efficiency gas fireplace that also serves as a source of heat for the upstairs. We need to provide access through the tiled fireplace surround to the heating vent assembly that goes upstairs and the gas union on the left side of the fireplace. My solution is to use three custom size recessed doors from Acudor. See example of their recessed access door below.

From their specifications the combination of door panel, door frame and the air gap between them appears to be 3/16âÂÂ, which would dictate the grout line width for the entire fireplace surround.

We plan on using 18x18 porcelain tile cut down to fit the design shown below. NOTE: All tile panels will be the same color. The door panels are shown in a different color for clarity.

We thought we would start on the door panel side first to make sure the grout lines coincide with the access doors, and then do the face of the fireplace surround. Below is a picture showing the side panel with scrap wood installed to show the location of the framing for the Acudor recessed access doors. We used a story pole to determine the location of the framing for the doors.

Does anyone here have experience with installing these types of access doors in tiled surfaces? Are we on the right path? Comments appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions.