Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing existing fireplace with woodstove question????

Posted by omapackhouse (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 6, 08 at 21:31

Hello All...I sure hope someone can help me with this. We are trying to get ready for winter by replacing some windows and our fireplace. I am looking to close it up and put a circulating heater called the "wonderwood" in, (you can see a picture by going to tractorsupply.com. Anyway, I don't know what I need to do to close it up and make it useable with this stove. I can't seem to get answers from the sales people at the store and can't find anyone here in NC that knows what they are doing. What we have right now is a "heatalator" insert, basically a fireplace with a blower. The problem is, when we pull that insert out, the firebrick comes too because it is all one unit. Can I just take that out and close the fireplace up, put the stove on the hearth and make a hole for the pipe to run into the existing chimney? It does have a triple line stack up the chimney already.
Any help is desparately needed, the work is starting Tuesday!!!
Thanks in advance!
oma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing existing fireplace with woodstove question????

If you're putting a woodstove into the fireplace make sure the chimney is correct! The fireplace has an 8 inch chimney and the stove probably has a 6 inch. You MUST have the correct chimney! You will need a liner installed. Without it you won't get a good enough draft.
Who is doing the installation? Are you having it done by a professional? Because if not, you homeowner's insurance will not be happy and MAY not cover you in the event of a fire. A pro can supply the insurance company with the necessary documents assuring them of a code approved installation.
I wish you well and good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here