Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help - removing faux rock

Posted by bronze_bombers (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 19:32

Does anyone know how to remove faux rock from around our fireplace? Our entire wall surrounding the fireplace and mantel has a faux rock cemented to the wall. We are unsure of what the rock is attached to and the best course of action. Can we ruin the fireplace and brick behind the wall by removing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can provide pictures if it would help. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help - removing faux rock

We had faux rock also. The surrounding area was drywall. If I recall, there was wire mesh and such behind the rock. You say you do not want to ruin the brick so it sounds like you already know what is behind yours?? I would think there is mortar behind the rock and it is stuck to the brick?? I am not sure how you would remove without harming the brick. Now for our situation we got a pneumatic jackhammer/chisel attachment for our air compressor. DH said it was a lifesafer for removing the rock. Our raise hearth was made of cement retaining wall type builders bricks. It took two solid days to remove all the debris but he said it would have taken longer by hand.

I think pics of what you actually have would really help.

o
RE: please help - removing faux rock

Shannon01,
If your interested, I can send you a picture via email of the wall to see if it is similar to what you had removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here