Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
national electrical code for gas fireplace switch

Posted by reedie4 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 19:26

Is there a national electrical code requiring a cut-off switch, for the blower, in the room with a gas fireplace?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: national electrical code for gas fireplace switch

We have a gas direct vent insert. As far as I can tell, there no cut-off switch for the blower. You seem to believe that there should be one. Why?

o

I'm getting a direct vent gas fireplace installed. My electrician insists there is a national code that requires a shut-off switch for the blower, for service safety. My installer and the manufacturer don't know what he's talking about. I was hoping someone might know if there is or isn't a national electrical code requiring this switch.

o

Our blower on our direct vent gas fireplace - is a piece of... Well - it isn't quality.

Makes a lot of noise, and minimal airflow. Fireplace is nice. Anyway - a switch exists on our blower - to turn it on, or off. Plus, control the speed of this blower...

A vented fireplace doesn't have a lot of electrical going to it... Not sure why your electrician is so sure a safety switch is required. Our fireplace has a thermo temp switch on it - it won't turn on unless the fireplace is at a cerain temp...

But Service Safety?? Just turn it off, or better yet - unplug it!. Ours just plugs into a wall outlet directly behind the fireplace.

I'm not a licensed electrician btw.

o

According to Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
Every motor has to have a disconnecting means, and the disconnect has to be within sight of the motor location. Reference NEC 430.102(B). So you can only take credit for the breaker at the main panel as being the disconnecting means if that breaker is within sight of the motor location, and is cabable of being locked open.

That said, I don't think the manufacturer of a motor is required to provide the disconnecting means. It can be furnished and installed by the electrical contractor.

My electrician says it is only required if the blower is direct wired and the code falls under motor disconnect. So I guess that makes it officially required by the national electrical code.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here