Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mossinajar

Gas fireplace embers - can you use wall insulation rockwool?

mossinajar
9 years ago

I'm doing my annual fall cleaning of my gas fireplace, before I seal it back up and turn it on I'd like to add a bed of embers beneath the logs. Right now it's just the exposed burner tube and some logs.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using bits of rockwool wall insulation as fireplace embers. I know that insulation rockwool has a small amount of mineral oil in it for water resistance but I think that would burn off within minutes.

And yes I know I'm being cheap and lazy. I happen to have some shards of rockwool leftover and why buy a tiny packet of overpriced mineral wool when I can just use that?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• ribsu
    9 years ago

I am of the same mind as you, wanting to give my gas fireplace log set a little more realism, I started looking for solutions. Frankly, the least expensive glowing ember type came from Home Depot, for about $8 for a 8 oz bag labeled as 8 lbs, but only contains 8 oz. I thought why pay for that tiny little bit when I can use plain old rock wool insulation batts or mineral wool? Can't find anything other than a possible smell (probably give you sinus cancer or something!) but nothing stating it can't be used for that purpose? So whats a frugal girl to do? Thats right! Search the internet! So far, can't find anything, other than this site, asking the same question! Anybody? I have a natural gas set, recently installed, and the gas company inspected it and turned on the pilot light. Now I am ready for some fireplace ambiance, and I realized, it needs some coals, embers, something to make it look and feel a little more realistic. The logs look fine, a little incense fixes the aroma of burning wood portion, but now for the glowing embers. Hope someone has some info on this, before I have to break down and BUY burning embers from Home Depot! Thanks all!

• ribsu
    9 years ago

I ordered up some "glowing embers" from Home Depot for $7.94 shipped to my local store for free, I picked them up this week! I used 2 metal grates for a grill to hold vegetables or fish on the grill that I bought the 2 of the at my local Salvation Army for $1.00 and cut them up to fit in between the ceramic logs and carefully put the "Glowing Embers" into the well shaped wells I formed and put just out of sight but right over the top of the gas burner, without touching it directly. Inside the fireplace I placed the "Glowing Embers" which seemed very light, but was more than enough to fill the three "grates" I made to hold them. Here's a picture of the grates I used, the bag of "glowing embers" and a picture of the fireplace with the lights on. And one of the lights off and the fireplace on! Very pretty and gives that special glow of a burning fire. No sound or smell, but I am still working on that. And the "Glowing Embers" still has 3/4 of the bag left!

• ribsu
    9 years ago

This is a picture of the cut up grates and you can see the "glowing embers" placed in the grates over the top of the gas burners.

• ribsu
    9 years ago

And this picture is of the fireplace minus lights, burning. Looks much more realistic and the flames flicker through the "glowing embers", and like I said before, I still have about 3/4 of a bag left. Just to give you and idea of the size of my fireplace, its about 21" wide and was a coal fireplace, so it required a smaller burner and log set, which was installed last winter. Its very pretty and throws off a lot of heat, when turned up, and also has a thermostat (just found that out!). For the $10 bucks invested in making this look more realistic, I'm pretty happy. If I could have found the rock wool, I would have tried it, but since I do not have any lying around, I can't compare them! It did take a while to place the "glowing embers" and make sure the flames came through just right, but well worth the time spent! Hope this helps others out!

• Diana Reynolds
    last year

Anyone notice any odors with new rock wool?