Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old heatilator

Posted by leesa49221 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 18:33

I recently bought a used 47 inch Heatilator fireplace. It was previously used with a vented gas log but can also be used for wood.My question is, can it be used with a vent free log? I purchased it thinking I would use it in my basement with a vent free log after capping off the vents. can this be done? if not we will use it in our 4 season room that we want to open up to the rest of the house and turn into a dining room. The 4 season room is 15 x 35. It has an electric baseboard heater which is insufficient.There is a hot tub at the east end of the room which we talked about moving outside. We decided instead to build a wall to enclose it since the room is big enough and add a sliding glass door to access it.Anyway, my question is can you turn a vented fireplace into a vent free?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old heatilator

Unvented equipment is not worth the risks of death or injury that are involved.

In theory, the equipment is safe if operated according to the manufacturer's directions, but I have yet to encounter a user who read, understood and followed all the warnings and directions supplied by a manufacturer.

There are usually a LOT of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here