Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osburn 2200 Fireplace Insert Installation

Posted by eric859 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 17:38

Yesterday I came across a startup company selling fireplace inserts. The guy I spoke with was very nice and seemed to be willing to bend over backwards for my business. His final prices were about 1/3 less than local places so I went with them. I ordered an Osburn 2200 fireplace insert. They are coming Friday to install it. I'm concerned that they may cut corners because of their inexperience and/or extremely low prices. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice to make sure they install it right.

For example, is there a minimum type of chimney pipe thickness I should make sure they use? Is there anything that I need to make sure they do as far as placement of the insert or the connection of the insert to the chimney piping? I spoke with one company that said they use some sort of metal sheet that gets fabricated onsite that goes between the top of the insert and the inside top of the fireplace to add a level of heat insulation. I didn't see anything like that in the Osburn manual though. Is it necessary? Should I make sure these guys do this?

Basically, the low price I'm paying has me worried and I want to make sure that the install is up to code and done right.

Thanks
Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osburn 2200 Fireplace Insert Installation

I have an osburn 2200 insert and IT LOOKS GREAT BUT IT
"DOES NOT"RASE THE TEMP.IN THE ROOM IT IS INSTALD IN. I GOT MORE HEAT FROM MY OLD FIREPLACE. I HAVE SPENT A LOT OF MONEY TO DO EVERYTHING THAT WAS SUGESTED BY 6 OR 7 DIFERANT INSTALLERS AND CONTRACTORS IN AN ATEMPT TO TRY AND GET HEAT INCLUDING INSULATING AROUND THE STOVE AND CHIMNEY.RAISING AND LOWERING CHIMENY. I HAVE THE STOVE FOR TWO YEARS AND IM LOOKING TO PURCHASE AREAL ONE. OH GOOD LUCK GETTING HELP FROM THE MANUFACTURE S.B.I.PHONE#418 527-3060 SORRY FOR YOUR PURCHASE.

o

When connecting the insert make sure they use a 6" liner and they run it from the insert to the top of the chimney and then tie it in to a chimney cap. make sure they use a fire rated insulation to stuff around the damper to prevent cool air from returning back down the chimney and into your home.

o

Just checking... how did your installtion go ...have you been using the fireplace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here