Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for updating fireplace exterior

Posted by newbieremodeler (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 17:14

I was hoping this forum could help me with my living room fireplace. I am not a fan of it for many reasons. First the cement mantles are dirty looking and the stone exterior to me does nothing. The brass doors I know would be an easy fix with a can of spray paint. Oh and it is not centered on the wall--but nothing I can do about that.
I guess the most important thing I want to do is change the exterior. I have thought of painting the brick white-- which would help add some white to this living room which is now a lot more open to my dining area and kitchen (which I just finished remodeling with white cabinets and a white built-in l-shaped banquette). My GC suggested buying tile and simply going over the whole thing---possibly with soapstone tiles to match my kitchen countertops.

Well, without further ado here is the fireplace. This photo is very old-- ie before we moved in. The carpet is now gone and hardwood floors have been refinished with a natural finish. Also the furniture in the photo is NOT ours-- but our current furniture is not staying- since it is too big for space (we had it before we bought the house).

Photobucket
Any suggestions? I would love to decrease the overall size of the fireplace but not sure if that is is possible. I do not want to spend a ton of money on this project.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for updating fireplace exterior

You've got a great space there - lots of potential!

You could extend the "mantle" to either side of the surrounding wall - make it a big wall with a seat - the reality of stuffing furniture in either of those corners is unlikely and the asymmetry of it could be fun!

Love the look of this great wall with a wooden shelf holding gorgeous art above the fireplace.

Bay View Beach Residence, Wellfleet modern living room

Here is a link that might be useful: Asymmetric fireplaces inspiration

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here