Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I clean the Bluestone on my fireplace?

Posted by kaisermust (kaisermust@aol.com) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 15:49

Totally redecorating the living room. New paint, new furniture, new carpet but keeping 30 yr old Bluestone fireplace, runs the entire wall. But have two issues: (1) 30 yr old water rust stain on mantle from where original owner had plants where water spilled over (house has iron water). When we first moved into the house we tried everything to remove rust stain, hydrochloric acid, etc., etc. Any sure fire ways to remove this ugly orange rust stain from bluestone? (2) face of bluestone around fireplace screen has some soot built up over the years (not super bad but you can notice it) and fireplace hearth step is just plain dirty from 30 yrs use. What can we use on the bluestone to clean it??? Have tried spic n span and other cleaners over the years but still looks dirty. Suggestions, please. Want to do this before the new carpet is laid.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I clean the Bluestone on my fireplace?

No guarantees, but for the soot stains try a strong solution of TSP. A paste made from TSP and something like Fuller's earth left on may also be worth a try, but test on a hidden place first.

Iron stain: There's a product called Iron Out which is intended for water treatment equipment. I have seen it used (again in paste form) very successfully to remove rust stains from concrete. Details of how to use it are no doubt available online. Bluestone is highly porous; therefore stains are hard to remove so you may just have to live with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here