Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surprising cost of rebuilding to a gas fireplace

Posted by siena_s_dad (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 07 at 15:12

Hi, we are rebuilding a house in the SF bay area. Our house has a old 70s woodburning fireplace that is brick and stone from floor to ceiling. Having learned so much about the benefits of gas burning fireplace on this forum, we decided to convert to a gas insert with a limestone slap to replace the old cultured stone. But once the contractors ripped out the stone, they said the bricks were already cracking. They suggest we demolish the whole thing, create a wood frame, then build a real gas burning fireplace with no raised hearth. Sounds nice, right?

The problem is the cost is kind of crazy. The Heat'n'Glow fireplace will cost $3k+. The contractors want $7k for the job of demolishing and rebuild. Then on top of that, I need to buy the slap and pay someone to finish it, too.

My question is, based on your experience, am I being gamed here? Or it does cost this much?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surprising cost of rebuilding to a gas fireplace

Get another opinion.

Generally speaking, a gas log set places a LOT less stress on a fireplace than a wood fire does--- a woodfire produces a LOT more heat, is a lot hotter and puts that heat right on top of the firebrick. It also produces a lot more combustion gasses to vent.

A gas log set put relatively little heat on the firebrick.

So I'd look around for another installer for an opinion. I'd be surpised if you needed to replace or rebuild your fireplace ---but surprising things do happen.

With a masonry fireplace, even if there are some cracks, I'd expect they could be patched with little trouble in most cases.

Perhaps you should look for a mason who builds and repairs fireplaces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here