Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burning Peat in fireplace - any issues

Posted by myrtle_59 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 14:33

We have a fireplace with insert. We burn wood. I am thinking of buying some peat just for fun. Does it create more soot than wood or are there any other issues I need to think about before doing this?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burning Peat in fireplace - any issues

There won't be any harm in burning peat, but, unless you have air from below the fire and the fuel on a grate, you won't have much success burning peat well. In an open fireplace you simply use an elevated grate to get a decent burn; in an insert to get a good burn you would have to have one designed for peat or coal. Having said all this, give it a try, it may work out ok for you. No, there are no significant differences as far as soot goes, usually just more powdery soot from peat vs. tarry creosote from wood. The main difference is the smell, you'll either love it or hate it.

o
RE: Burning Peat in fireplace - any issues

Thanks. Hadn't thought about a different grate.

Does peat smell like coal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here