Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vagirl07

Please Help

vagirl07
16 years ago

Hi! I'm looking for a realistic woodburning see thru insert that can be stoned to look like a true masonry fireplace. I plan to use vented gas logs-as real as I can find. I do not want any metal framing to show and do not plan to use this to heat my house. I hope to find an insert that will not need to be replaced for a very long time because I plan to stone the entire fireplace. Isokern and firerock are out due to foundation issues required for see-thru. Any ideas you can send my way would be VERY much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (5)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Boy, that's quite a list of requirements.

I'm wondering why you want a woodburner converted to gas, instead of just going with gas in the first place...

I've never come accross a wood or gas burner that allowed you to put stones over *every bit* of the metal so that it doesn't show at all.

And while I've seen full massonry wood burners converted to gas without glass doors, I haven't seen an insert of any type without doors. That means you'll have some metal framing-- sorry.

The louver-less or 'clean face' gas models I've seen aren't double sided. My personal problem with these is that you can see the glass. Seems to be an open fire at first glance, and when you realize it isn't, it's quite a let down. Most of these only show a thin metal frame that serves to hold the glass and seperate the facing [stone in your case] from the firebox lining. Here's a good looking model from Fireplaces xtrordinaire:
    {{gwi:1524127}}

I think this lennox [magna fire model] is about as clean a face as you'll find for a see through wood burner. I'd talk to the dealer about whether it can accomodate a gas log set, though:
    {{gwi:1524128}}

Best of luck on your search!

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Well, now I feel silly: after I posted the above, I got to thinking that I'd seen a clean face, double sided gas burner. Turns out to be by 'Town and Country':

Might be about as close as you'll come, would be worth seeing in person. You can face it in any material you like, of course.

Info link:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• vagirl07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the help. I'm looking for the woodburning because I want to use vented logs and I was told to do so I must use a woodburning insert. I've heard Majestic and Heatolator have one but not sure of the quality. I've also heard about one by Monsessen that looks like it would work but I know nothing about Monessen either. Thanks for the pictures. I will check them out today. The search continues...

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Only a few Gas fps are meant to burn without a vent, so you don't really need to start with a woodburner and convert it to gas to get where you want to go. If you've already picked out a 'must have' log set, weeelll, I'd take a very long look at what various manufacturers offer, in case you could find an 'off the shelf' that would suit you.

Best thing is to visit local shops where you can compare differnt units side by side.

I personally think you'd be better off with a gas model, where the whole thing has been specifically designed to work together, that has had every piece engineered to work with the rest. Safer than using mis-matched components and having to guess whether the btus of the burner are appropriate for the enclosure, whether there will be enough 'draw' to keep the flame lit, and enough combustion air to prevent back drafting: Let the experts worry about such issues, sez I!

• Macey
    16 years ago

1.Clean Face (louverless)
    2.Wood Burning
    3.Gas log approved
    4. Large Opening
    5. Glass Door Optional (unless you're in California, are you?)
    Lennox LS43-ST fits these requirements
    www.lennoxhearthproducts.com