Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
120 yr old Fireplace Hearth

Posted by jenniferusey (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 13:47

I REALLY need urgent help with this project...
First,I'll give you the specs....
1890 house with original 3flue chimney(center of house)...
TOTAL exposed area of this first floor fireplace measures -D44' x W68' X H62'....... Firebox opening is D16.5' x W36' x H54'.........This opens into TINY living room..D14' x W16' x H10'... there are also two small passage areas on side of living room measuring 3' x 4'... so, essentially it's a massive fireplace opening into a shoebox.

For this project I have:
had Chimney completely rebuilt above roofline and will be using VENTED Peterson Real Fyre Gas logs and possibly just a mesh curtain closing off Firebox.... I personally think less is more be the room is TINY.

I need opinions on....
1) the final height of modified firebox...i need to figure out appropriate heigh so i can use an IN STOCK blk powder coat curtain or hinged doors w mesh.
2) advice as to whether aged red firebick on entire exposed surface w a shallow soapstone mantel would be appropriate?? or should i stucco it?? or maybe use soapstone bricks?(M. Teixeira Soapstone in Hackensack)
3)hearth floor? simple grey cement or should i splurge for $500 and buy a soapostone slab?? orrrr,would the weight of the soapstone be too much??(the mason will be beefing up below the hearth w support btw basement floor joists but hmmm i definitely need some advice on that
Anyway, I just wanted to start this Thread and see where you guys take it... I'm open to all suggestions.... I also dont like to use materials that will date a project...as in I'd prefer straight boring cement instead of using tile or brick that screams 2011...

Here is a link that might be useful: Misssisssipppi/FIREPLACE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 120 yr old Fireplace Hearth

Sorry.. let's try this link

Here is a link that might be useful: Misssisssipppi_Fireplace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here