Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Methods for drying out firewood.

Posted by dagremlin (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 6, 06 at 12:51

As a new wood burning stove owner I have just bought my first cord of "seasoned" firewood and have a few questioons.
1. First of all, much of the wood doesn't look too seasoned, is 4 months enough time to allow the partially seasoned wood to cure?

2. I was always under the impression that wood would cure in the open air regardless of whether or not it is in a covered shed. Will stacking it without a cover still allow it to cure or does it have to be covered?

3. Does bark have to be removed prior to stacking or burning?

Thanks, A Newbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Methods for drying out firewood.

I am not the person to give you a definitive answer on whether or not 4 months time will bring partially cured firewood up to "fully" cured. I suspect much of that has to do with the relative humidity where you live. Wood would likely cure faster in Arizona than it would in Louisiana. Make sense?

Firewood WILL cure in the open air (we have a couple of stacks that aren't under cover right now, just a tarp); but there are a few things to consider. Make sure you stack your wood on an old pallet, you don't want the wood to be in contact with the damp, moist ground. You want air to be able to circulate over and around the individual pieces. You should cover the stack, but LOOSELY and mostly over the top. The object being, you are trying to keep the rain/snow from saturating the long, exposed surfaces of the top pieces repeatedly.

You can leave the bark on. Actually, it will help give you an indication that the wood is drying. As the wood dries it contracts and the bark will become looser. Also look for telltale splits and cracks on the butt ends of pieces.

o
RE: Methods for drying out firewood.

Is 4 months long enough to "season" wood? No. But it will burn just fine in your stove.
Seasoned wood becomes gray. That's the "good" stuff. But not many people around here wait a year to burn the wood. If you get your wood now it'll be ready to burn this winter. But get your wood from somebody that sells firewood. Because they usually fell the trees in the winter and stack them up. Now is when they're cutting those trees to log lengths. The wood will look like it's not good enough to burn, but it's just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here