Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hearth around elecrtic fireplace?

Posted by nicoletta (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 12:21

Hi,
I am planning to remodel the exiting electric fireplace in my house. Now it has an hearth (tiles) in front of it but in many pictures I see that electric fireplaces don't have it. Can I take it the tiles out and bring the wood up to the edge of the fireplace or does the Building Code require to have non- combustilble hearth around an electric fireplace like you have it aorund a wood burning one? I live in California.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hearth around elecrtic fireplace?

The best thing for you to do is go into your local building department and ask an inspector about it (or review the local code yourself if you feel comfortable doing so). The code requirements on these things can vary greatly from place to place.

o
RE: Hearth around elecrtic fireplace?

There should be no clearance to cumbustables for an Electric Unit. They typically only put out around 5,000 BTU's, so you should be fine. Basically the same thing as setting a Space Heater on your floor. If you're really concerned though, dig out your Manual on the FP. It will state the clearances in there. If you no longer have it, find the manufacturer and model and look it up online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here