Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace grates

Posted by kbard (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 12:15

We have a nice fireplace that separates the living and dining room. Just got the house. As you can see there are two grates, one below and one above with two knobs for adjustment i assume one is for the flue but i don't know what the other is for, I assume something to do with these vents, I have never seen a fioreplace with these vents before and don't really like them. The vents look the same on the other side of the fireplace too. What are they for? Thanks

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace grates

To insure airflow so when using the fireplace the fire stays going. If there is no air flow i the fire will choke itself out.

o

I think it's kind of obvious they are for air flow. My question is, why does my particular fireplace have these? I have not seen fireplaces with these before. Usually above the fireplace is a blank wall where people put flat screen tvs, etc

o

Do you have a switch for a fan? My husband once delivered firewood to an elderly disabled man. When I asked what the vents were for, his wife answered that one was for air flow to help keep the fire lit and the other was for the heat to move to other areas of the room. Their fireplace had a switch for a fan to blow the heat if it didn't move about the room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here