Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kklady

Dumb question on how to clean glass on wood stove

kklady
17 years ago

This may be a dumb question ..... but is there any way to clean the glass on a wood stove. My husband started our new wood stove, and apparently took from the wrong pile, and had some wet wood. I read the booklet from the stove, and it said to use window cleaner and cool ashes to clean the creosote from the glass. Well, 2 hours later, I am done. Is there a cleaner out there that works a little faster.

Thank you

Comments (20)

• movingwest
    17 years ago

dont use windex. it can cause a permanent rainbow. buy a glass cleaner specifically for fireplace/woodstove glass.

• cordovamom
    17 years ago

I used oven cleaner to clean the glass of our wood stove when we had it. Worked like a charm

• christopherh
    17 years ago

Just remember, the "glass" isn't glass. It's ceramic. Go to your srove shop and get a cleaner. The black comes off inside of seconds. I bought some about 3 years ago and it'll last a long time.

• cbreeze
    17 years ago

I used oven cleaner too. Be sure to protect everything though.

• tommyw
    17 years ago

I also use EZ off oven cleaner. Be carefull not to overspray or get it on your hands. I place old newspaper around the door to prevent any overspray hitting outside the glass.

• chris_m_2010
    13 years ago

1. For heavy buildup a hot fire is the best approach. Consider that if you are creating a buildup on the glass that the same thing is getting deposited in the flue and a hot fire should help that too. Short hot fires minimize creosote.
    2. When it is cool use a damp paper towel. Moderate creosote can be removed with a paste of water and ashes.
    3. Use a cleaner made for wood stove glass; they claim it will leave a silicone layer that will help make it easier to clean in the future.

• notinterested_inspam_com
    13 years ago

Get oven cleaner in a spray bottle which you can dilute down to a 1 to 4 ratio. That's 1 part oven cleaner to 4 parts water. Reserve the full strength oven cleaner in a secondary container and remix as needed.

• mel_jenson_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Get a wet paper towel and dip it in the cooled ashes and ta da! it simply wipes off so easily its magic!!!

• mikemonaghan
    11 years ago

DONT use over cleaner! it gets into the pours of the glass and will shorten its lifespan. best home remeady is to use newspaper and wet with water, dip it in the ashes and make a paste, then spreed it on the glass, it breaks done the soot and comes off easy

Here is a link that might be useful: woodstove-fireplaceglass

• April Williamson
    8 years ago

Sorry I've tried all these methods and found that spraying oven cleaner on the door while warm is awesome. Spray and wipe that's it. No scrapping or rubbing.

• akamainegrower
    8 years ago

Most products sold as oven cleaners are based on lye, a highly alkaline chemical which can priduce severe burns on human skin. Spraying it on a stll warm surface - which is strongly not recommended for any cleaner by all wood stove manufacturers - can also release toxic vapor. Using this product for cleaning stove glass is dangerous to the ceramic itself and the person using it. The best practice is to avoid creosote deposits on the glass by using well seasoned wood, burning hot fires, avoiding smoldering fires with too little oxygen, wiping with wood ashes when necessary. Cleaners made specifically for wood stove glass - the one from Rutland is very good - can be used for a more thorough cleaning when the glass has fully cooled. Keeping the glass clean is important because the chemicals in creosote can permanently etch the ceramic if left on for long periods. If you are routinely getting creosote deposits, the culprit is almost always too green wood and/or too little oxygen.

• cabcurtis45
    8 years ago

All I use is a flat blade like they use to change your car stickers. Takes a couple minutes l do it even when hot works great.

• Susan Rawlings
    8 years ago

I agree, try Rutland. It leaves a silicone layer to make cleaning easier the next time. It's a great product.

• resist9
    8 years ago

Scraping it off with a razor blade is the easiest way to go. This also works to clean your glass oven door.

• akamainegrower
    8 years ago

To repeat: if your wood stove glass is becoming so dirty as to require scraping with a razor blade, something is wrong. A stove malfunction is possible, but in 99% of the cases, the wood being burned is not seasoned enough and/or the stove is being run without enough air, creating a smoldering fire. Dirty glass is caused by creosote. If it's thick on the glass, it's thick on the interior of the chimney. This creaties a real danger for a chimney fire.

• Tim Potter
    6 years ago

Use this one wipe and your done

you can find this on Amazon for $5.48.

• Chrystal Lacroix
    5 years ago

Use a Magic Eraser and scrub it off. After that, take a damp cloth and wipe off excess moisture and crud until clean! Easiest thing ever to use and takes only a minute or two and no harsh chemicals or cleaners needed!

• HU-339258599
    3 years ago

I just found out the the creame type hand cleaner you find in the auto section will clean the glass fast. Use a scrub pad like the ones used in the kitchen that has a sponge on the other side.

• Peter Carter
    2 years ago

Ashes work better than anything !