Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refacing a brick fireplace

Posted by dtr56 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 05 at 11:26

Hello and hoping someone out there has some info for me. We have just finished painting our fireplace mantel and wood surround and now the red brick on the fireplace and hearth looks awful. I'd like a one-piece (slab, if you will) of some hard surface to cover it, such as granite but wondering if there is any other type of hard, heat resistant type of stone or stone-like and not in tile form to cover the brick (less expensive than granite), otherwise I think we'll just go the granite route. Has anyone covered their fireplaces in granite or granite-like product? and any other info you can provide would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refacing a brick fireplace

Have you thought about faux painting it? My wife is a faux painter and paints them all the time. Saves a lot of money too! Just an Idea..

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplaces my Wife has painted

o

We covered a fireplace with cermic tiles. It turned out ok. Then the next one I did tumbled marble on the face, and travertine on the hearth.

There is also the option of brick veneer if you want something that looks like the fireplace used to/should have. Recovered Chicago pavers that have split into veneers are readily available.

Depending on what sort of look you're hoping for you could choose granite, marble, soap stone tiles, custom concrete, etc etc.

I know what you mean, a friend of ours painted a fireplace and it was a disaster. Also as someone who has tried to strip the paint off I don't suggest us. I was averaging 45 minutes per brick - it was maddening.

o

atmiller, thanks for the reply. Your wife does beautiful work. We did think of painting or faux painting but decided we'd like some type of granite-like stone to cover the brick.
Thank you pebbles. My first thought was the ceramic tiles but after looking through many magazines I like the look of a "slab" of some sort. We'd rather not have any grout lines and the maintenance that goes along with that. Do you know if soap stone or marble are less expensive than granite (or even concrete). I'll have to check those options out. I can't begin to think of painting the bricks and than someday wanting to remove the paint. What a job at 45 minutes per brick........that sounds like a year long project.
Again, thanks for the replies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here