Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need grates woodburning fireplace

Posted by briant73 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 10:37

I'm new to owning a home with woodburning fireplaces, I have already had them sweeped out and inspected but on one of them the grate is falling apart. I am looking to replace this grate. I take it with grates the wider end goes towards the front and the narrow one towards that back. How much clearance do I want on the sides and front/back? Also what is a good grate material?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need grates woodburning fireplace

Are you talking about something to put the wood on? Like andirons, but also with cross pieces?

Yes, you want the narrow part towards the back, similar to the shape of the fireplace (or most). I would leave an inch or two of clearance at the rear at most. Depending on how big your fireplace is, several inches on either side is good--that way you have room to maneuver logs. It doesn't need to be the full width of the fireplace.

I think cast iron is pretty standard material, and is fine. They do wear out from heat. Home depot among other places has them for not that much money ($30-50)

o

Thanks for the answer. I got a cast iron grate and put it into the fireplace as you described. Now I need to get some wood to burn.

o

Dang, too late.

I have one of these and I highly reccomend it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Grate Wall of Fire

o

Thanks for the information anyways, seems like something down the road I'll be interested in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here