Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Pellet Pipe Venting

Posted by elroyyboy (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 10:29

Hi,
I'm getting a cheapie pellet stove from Lowes this week to help heat the basement woodshop and hopefully get some residual heat upstairs in our 2 story cape cod. I paid $450-500/mo last winter for electricity. We've got a cheap all electric furnace that isn't very productive as we have no returns in our upstairs (a problem to fix soon).

I've bought the kit from Dura Vent and it's got a 7 in. diameter wall thimble. I'm going straight through poured concrete basement walls and I don't know if I can rent/borrow a big enough coring drill to drill a 7" hole. Since it's concrete can I just bore the hole over the diameter of the stove pipe and caulk it in with fireproof silicon? I'm meeting all my clearances inside and outside.

Thanks, and apologies for such a long post!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Pellet Pipe Venting

It's probably too late to answer this. Personally I don't see a problem with venting directly through a concrete wall without a thimble. The thimble is designed to keep a hot pipe away from combustable materials and I don't believe concrete is combustable! I used just regular silicone sealant on my installation and I had no issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here