Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philip1_gw

Coal Stove--What Brand To Buy-Harman,Keystoker,Alaska,Leisure Lin

philip1
18 years ago

Hello to all.

I am looking to buy a coal stove for my house, but the more I research them the more confused I get. I am looking at Harman, Keystoker, Alaska and Leisure Line.

I like the Harman but the clearances are very large on the sides. Keystoker seems well built but its not a good looking stove for a den. The Alaska and Leisure Line look good but I have not seen them in person only on their web sites. Are they all equal in quaility.

All these stoves come in Stoker and Hand Fired models, and I still dont know which way to go on that either.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you very much.

Phil. L.I. N.Y.

Comments (7)

• djm253525
    18 years ago

Phil,

I just bought the DVC-500 coal stoker. I was thinking about the keystoker, but the warranty wasn't as good as Harman. IN addition, the keystoker wasn't very appealing visually as you said. I live on Long Island too and found Sleepy Hollow Fireplace (Harman dealer) more costly than Rella Stove in Medford (Harman and Keystoker dealer). In addition, I thought Rella Coal was more helpful, knew more about the product, and sold the coal directly. Any question feel free to ask -Dan

• Robmalerba
    18 years ago

I bought my DVC 500 at the same time as Dan, I'm cutting the holes in my wall today. What I can tell you is that I read tons of emails from all over, and the result was always the same. Harman is the best. That did it for me. Make sure you have easy access to rice coal bagged if possible. I paid 185.00 a ton in CT this summer. btpellet.com

• djm253525
    18 years ago

Rob,

Did you install the stove? Was it hard? Any suggestions for installing the stove?

• yueng1829
    18 years ago

paid 98 a ton this summer in PA. Just heard today went up to 135 a ton. thanks to the fuel cost.

• rootdigger
    17 years ago

Hi:
    We've been looking into coal stoves, too. We are down to Harman and Keystoker. I think Keystoker has more models than is shown on their website. I would suggest you email them for more details. I think I also saw where they are 88-90% efficient and have a 10-year warranty on their stoker stoves, 5 years on their radiant;i.e., automatic feed vs. self-feed.

Harman is cheaper, has a 5-year warranty, but I have no idea what their heating efficiency. It just doesn't tell you anywhere. I don't think Harman has any automatic feed stoves. At least, I didn't see any.

We are looking for one with minimum clearance, but if I had my druthers, I'd go for a center room floor-to-ceiling stone wall with a place for a fireplace insert or stove...but no time to build that.

I, for one, would like to have a Keystoker more than Harman, but that's my opinion. Hubby would rather the Harman. Maybe we can buy 1 of each. LOL

Yueng, I think coal prices are still the same right now. We've been watching.

• glennar
    17 years ago

Today I visited KeyStoker. Fotos at http://www.3cats.com/KeyStoker.htm

Glennnnnnnnn

Here is a link that might be useful: KeyStoker

• APJUNE56_AOL_COM
    12 years ago

HI I LIVE IN BEAR DE. COAL IS 350 A TON FOR BAGS THATS TO MUCH ANY WHERE I CAN TAKE MY TRUCK N TRAILOR THAT HAS A SCALE NJ PA MD THATS NOT TO FAR THANK YOU