Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing cast iron baffle with steel?

Posted by commonground (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 10:17

Hello,

I have a wonderful Morso 2B stove, probably from the '80, although I don't exactly know.

The cast iron baffle inside the combustion camber is holed and partly collapsed and needs replacement.

The replacement is difficult to locate and probably expensive.

The part is 1/4" thick. I am wondering if a 3/8" thick steel plate could withstand the heat or if I really need that part in cast iron.

Thank you for your attention.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing cast iron baffle with steel?

If there is any mechanical connection (including stove cement) between the cast iron and steel, the differing rates of expansion and contraction will quickly become a problem. Gaps will open up and I would think that the steel would also be much more prone to warping. I would contact the Morso company or a reliable dealer/repairer for advice.

o

The part I need to replace is a smoke shelf inside the combustion chamber that is not cemented to the sides of the stoves but only rests on small lugs inside the stove.

...that the steel would also be much more prone to warping...

I think there lies the problem as I don't know how much more the steel is going to warp compared to the cast iron as it is directly exposed to the flames.

This was my actual question to the members of this list. I am hoping to get away with 3/8" steel instead of the original 1/4" cast iron but I don't know.

If somebody knows the answer please tell me.

Thanks again

Thierry

o

Were you able to solve this problem? How? We have the same one/
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here