Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you measure yours?

Posted by ctlane (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 9:54

Hi. We are installing a fireplace that will be free standing, meaning it will be placed between the living room and diningroom (open concept) and will have cultured stone on all sides.
My question, because it is DIY, is what is the distance from your floor to top of hearth? What is the distance from the top of your fireplace opening to your mantle?
Do these dimensions change with different height ceilings?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you measure yours?

I believe that each fireplace will have very specific requirements for placement... just check the manufacturer's website.

Mine isn't freestanding, but it's 8" from floor to bottom of the box (no hearth), and top opening is 8" to the top of the overall box, which is where the wood facing starts.

o

Obtain a copy of the manufacturer's installation directions for your fireplace, and follow them. If you do, you should have a safe installation, if you don't all bets are off.

o

If you are considering creating your own wood burning masonry fireplace from scratch, don't: creating a safe, effeicient FP from a few stones and bags of concrete isn't a job for amatures.

Use a firebox from a reputable company, follow the instructions.

The taller the ceiling, the more 'draw' [suction] the chimney delivers. Some gas burners have a maximum as well as minimum vertical vent height. Again, check with the manufacturer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here