Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Damper - Top or Bottom ?

Posted by mundo (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 9:09

Hello,

After recently moving into our new house, we find our (wood burning) fireplace chimney has no damper. So we had a few chimney people to give us quotes and there seem to be contradicting views on whether to install the newer type top damper, or the traditional bottom damper.

Here's the benefits that I can make out:

Top Damper:
Has a silicon/rubber seal so will be very efficient.
Cheaper, but likely to deteriate quicker.
Quoted $525 including installation

Bottom Damper:
Made from cast iron so won't form a perfect seal.
Will last a lifetime.
Quoted $800 inclduing installation.

We do already have a good quality glass front door which I'm hoping does reduce air escape well.

What would you all suggest, and are these prices reasonable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Damper - Top or Bottom ?

We've been in our house ('49 vintage) for 10 years. Putting a damper in was one of the first things I did. I believe it originally had a cast iron damper that'd rusted away.

The main thing you need is a cap if you don't already have one to keep the rain out. If that's the case, I'd lean toward a chimney top damper. I put in a Chimalator, and a quick check of prices shows they've escalated to $200+ for the kit from the ~$100 I paid for ours. Price depends on the size.

Honestly, I think the pricing you got is a bit steep for either type of damper, unless you have a massive fireplace and flue and a roof so steep that it'll be a giant pain to get to the top of the chimney.

For the chimney top one, they're going to go up on the roof and put the cap/damper in place with screws and some RTV silicone as a gasket. They'll drop the stainless wire that is used to close the damper down the flue. At the fireplace, they'll drill holes in the masonry for the bracket to screw into the wall. Then they'll attach the wire from above and set up the tension so that the damper is closed all the way when the lever is all the way down.

That's maybe a 90 minute job for someone who knows what they're doing. Marking up the material by 2X to install may be pretty normal. It's also why I DIY most things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here