Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainer82

Fireplace situation/problem

mainer82
10 years ago

Two years ago we purchased and installed a ventless gas fireplace, this one to be exact: http://www.shoppingbug.com/buy/pc/24-Vail-Vent-Free-Fireplace-Electronic-Ignition-Empire-16p3301.htm

We really liked that we could place it anywhere and as you can see in the attachment, we have in on a wall that is not facing the outside. I've noticed that if I run it for a long time I start to get a head ache unless I open the window a little bit. I'd rather not have to do that and am wondering if it's possible to replace the insert and keep the mantle? I haven't been able to find a 24" insert that is vented. Do they make them?

Also, I would need to keep the fireplace where it is, is it possible with a vented? If vented, is it possible to vent it down to the basement and then outside?

Above the dining room and kitchen there's a gas dryer that vents outside, that vent runs in between the 1st floor ceiling and 2nd floor and then outside. Could I do something like that as well?

This post was edited by mainer82 on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 12:29

Comments (2)

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

Unvented gas appliances are not a very good idea even when allowed by local codes. The headaches are an indication of excess CO2 and/or CO within the house. In addition, all the water vapor is being released into the living area as well.

It may be possible to vent down, then out, but would require some sort of power venting system. There are small vented stoves and heaters, but not sure about 24". Especially in a cold climate, I would not want to live with an unvented heater at all.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

We have a small VF fireplace that is in our dining room as a "back up" to our woodstove, which is our only heat source (no furnace). It is used very little, I wouldn't suggest one as a regular fireplace/stove that is used frequently. Although we did heat our old house with one exclusivley for two years, that place was pretty drafty.

As to the vented options. You will need either a stove or fireplace, but the fireplace won't be at all similar to your VF. Vented units almost always have clearance requirements of at least a few inches from walls, etc, so a vented fireplace is built in, not just a free standing unit like a VF. We replaced our old VF at our old house with a DV stove. I would suggest going to a fireplace/stove shop and checking out your options, you'll find the vented ones are quite a bit different. I am 99% sure you won't be able to find something that can vent down, nor something that will have a pipe that can be run between joists like a dryer or bath fan. Our DV pipe was at least a 6" I think.

Your options for vented will be DV (direct vent) which can vent straight up, or up then at a 90 out the wall. Again, that pipe will have clearances from the ceiling to be met and is about a 6" OD. There are also B vent units, which will only vent straight up.

The only option I see easily is to move to a vented unit on the shorter wall between the living and dining room (to the right of where your VF is now) and get a DV unit that can vent out the wall there.