Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon8777

Hampton HI300

jon8777
17 years ago

I am looking to purchase a woodburning insert probably a Hampton HI300.

I am use to the old stye American Eagle free standing stove that use 3-4 cords of wood a year. My question.... What does an average insert use in a heating season? (living in western PA)

Comments (10)

• burntime
    17 years ago

I just bought the exact insert. No idea with the new one but my old non-epa insert would burn 5-6 cords to keep a 1400 square foot exposed 1950's ranch at 72 in Wisconsin. I hope the new one will use 3-4 from what I understand.

• artzwoman
    17 years ago

I, too, am looking at purchasing the Hampton HI300 insert. Any feedback from any current users would be appreciated. What are your likes/dislikes about the Hampton HI300?

background: I have a 3000 sq ft ranch and the fireplace is located at one end of the house. However, as much as possible, I would like to use it to heat the whole house. I'm not too worried about the bedroom end of the house; I know it will be a lot cooler. However, if I can avoid turning on the furnace, it would be nice!]

Also, did anyone have the "joy" of installing it themselves? How did it go? Any tips on the insert installation or on the chimney liner installation?

• burntime
    17 years ago

I can tell you mine looks great...I am still waiting for the guys to finish the install. Hopefully I can lite it in the next week or so. I can tell you the quality of the unit looks great. It must weigh over 500 pounds and the metal is very thick. Hopefully I can post some comments after it is in and burning.

• jon8777
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update: I put the down depo. on the stove this past week. Dealer expects to be out within the next week to install it. For 450$ for installation, its worth it. Guy at work installed his own, by the time he rented a lift (2 story install) bought dinner for his buddies he saved 75$.

Now the work begins. I am in the process of hauling the 3 cords of wood and restacking them for the second time this year.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

• jon8777
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dealer installed the wood insert last week. It took him about 2 hours to install it and have it up and running.

I am very pleased with the installer and the stove.

I knew that getting this model the fire box was the medium size. (why donÂt they make the Hampton in the large????) So with that in mind I am getting 5-7 hours on a full load of wood. ItÂs not my only source of heat so if I sleep thru and forget to load it at 5am itÂs not the end of the world.

I am getting temps of 74-76 deg in the living room (night time low has been 33 deg) with the fan on low and the damper 80-90% shut. We have a multi level 2700+/- sq ft open floor plan house so the heat has no problem making it to the bedrooms on the "second" level.

It does take a while for the auto fan on to kick on, after 20-30 mins I have been manually turning the fan on and after an hour I flip to auto so if the wood burns out the fan turns off.

My only complaint is the stench of the initial burn. Its something you donÂt read about until its installed and your reading the manuals. After the first burn the smells gone.

• burntime
    17 years ago

Mine was installed last wednesday...wow it can heat the whole house on low no problem, infact I opened the patio door. It was in the low 30s so it will do a great job! By the way my blower initially took an hour to kick in...I pulled the blower housing out and bent the small disk forward so that it would contact the stove, now in 30 minutes the blower "clicks" and I have forced air heat!!! So far it is one of the best purchases I have made!!!

• scott2007
    17 years ago

I desparately want to purchase an HI300 Hampton Wood Stove Insert with the Timberline enamel finish, blower and surround. However, I was told by someone that the unit cannot be installed in a prefab fireplace. Is that true? If not, what's required to install it safely?

thanx,

scott

• scott2007
    17 years ago

Wanted to give an update on my Hampton experience and questions. My dealer called the factory rep and learned from them that the insert can be placed in the fireplace (Majestic) after providing them my model #. A licensed chimney sweep and installer installed it w/o any problems. He installed a chimney liner rated at 2100 degrees per code requirements. As far as the HI300, I love it in every respect--quite fan, loads of heat, looks to kill, and the feel of quality throughout. Mine gave off no smell the first time I used it, unlike the experience of others. Glass always stays clean. Off the subject, but I learned the quality of wood is soooooooooo important for any unit to ensure the wood burns clean and to maximize heat and efficiency. This unit is a winner for me and I did loads of research and wouldn't trade it for any other. Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer them. I've used it numerous time now and it's a real jewel!!!!

Scott

• jon8777
    Original Author
    16 years ago

First year of winter heats came and gone and this winter woods is collecting fast. You cant beat that great dry heat from the Hampton. I am guessing that I burnt about 3 cords of mixed hardwoods this past winter (slab wood and split wood).

I have 2 indoor sofa beagels that love to lay about a foot from the hearth and get all toasty when we let them in the living room.

The wife has already picked up a few wood working books for me to make a mantle cover for the stone fireplace... if theres anyone out there that has pointers, let me know!??!!??

I recommed this to anyone that considering a wood burner.

• burntime
    16 years ago

I started bu making a box, 3 sides really out of 2x4's. Next build it up with various trims and crown. My mantle it 11 1/2 inchs deep and 7 feet wide. Very stately when you see it. Also covered the original brick with lannonstone and new hearth 20 inchs deep. One thing leads to another and finally done. It is really easier than it sounds...start at the lumber yard holdin moldings together and viola, you have a mantle. To hang I lag bolted 2 4x4's into the masonary and then set the mantle on it. Drilled 2 pilot holes and used plugs to fill. Really gives an old world built appearance. It matchs the 1950's ranch! Good luck!