Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice on Decorating Front & Back of Tall Fireplace - PICS!

Posted by debelli (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 7:09

We put in an offer on this house on Friday, accepted Saturday and if all the inspections go well, it will be ours (will know probably Friday)

When you walk in the front door, the back of the fireplace greets you. The ceilings are high in the foyer and the living room on the other side, making a lot of brick and not quite sure what to do with it.

If you have a set-up like this, can you tell me how you've decorated it, or post pictures if possible? Or, if you have some suggestions, please share those. I don't know what kind of proportions one should go with when it comes to a tall fireplace like this and with the entry way, is it better to just keep the "less is more" attitude, and what may look good to put in that area besides a framed picture?

Also, as you can see from the pictures, the mantel that is on the front of the fireplace is quite ugly - what should I consider putting there instead??

I can't measure the height, but it's over 5" wide from the back. It indents on the sides somewhere over 2ft in the foyer

Entry way - you walk in and bam, there's the back of the fireplace!

Front Entry / Foyer

Side view in foyer

Entry / Foyer View

Livingroom view

Living Room

Chimeny in Living Room

Thanks in advance to all for replying!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice on Decorating Front & Back of Tall Fireplace - PI

The first thing I'd do is replace that little hanging light fixture in the entryway. With that massive wall of brick, something more substantial would look better.

The fireplace has simple, modern lines, and neither the light fixture nor the mantle work with that. A simpler (but again, substantial) mantle would look better. It actually looks like the fireplace was designed to not have a mantle at all, and i'll bet you could just remove that awful one and leave it unadorned.

You could try a large potted plant (real or a good fake) on the side of the fireplace where that can is. That would soften things up. The great thing about plants is they go with any decorating style.

Last but not least, if you don't want to hang art in the entryway you could hang a huge framed mirror on the back of the fireplace. You'll probably want to hang something large and framed on the front too.

Just my two cents' worth, but since you asked...

o
RE: Need Advice on Decorating Front & Back of Tall Fireplace - PI

I saw something similar to this on another post. You might also want to post this on the decorating forum. Those folks have a lot of ideas. The other post had suggested they paint the brick the same color as the walls. I think that would work great for you and then I would update the mantle with a more dramatic look. Or if you are on a tight budget you could paint the mantle also. I love the floorplan and the windows are gorgeous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here