Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_sandiego

Placement of a new insert fireplace ???

scott_sandiego
18 years ago

We are currently in the middle of a home remodel. I have purchased a Majestic 36" Superearth Firebox SHR36, that we were originally planning on putting in the corner of our living room, according to blue prints. Now that the new framming is up we are re-considering the placement of the fireplace from the corner, to a wall that will be ajacent from the kitchen. The fireplace will placed on this wall, in such a way that it will be sticking out about 26" from the wall and be about 48" in width.

Will this look funny? That it is not flush with the wall like most fireplaces are. We can not put it in the wall because there is another room behind the wall.

Sorry for the long post.

If anyone has any pictures of their fireplaces sticking out from wall, I would greatly appreciate seeing them, to put my mind at ease.

Thanks Scott

Comments (10)

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

This is NOT an insert and it will NOT heat.

Don't take this personally, but this is a zero-clearance pre-fab junkie fireplace. You should just take it back to where you found it.

Perhaps you should read all the threads where people's pre-fabs are already burned out and broken after just a few years use. Why? Because they are not designed for hot fires. Go figure. Do you want to be tearing this thing out and replacing it again within the next decade? The solution is not to use it of course.

• twocats_wy
    18 years ago

I'm not good at visualizing, and don't know what style of home/finish you've planned, but below I've linked a pic of a "traditional style" gas fireplace that sticks out from the wall. You manufacturer specs, plus your local building codes, should give you guidance on clearances, etc.

This link is from the Fireplace Xtrordinair website. Some of the other manufacturer sites have pics as well.

You can also try the hearth.com photo gallery

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1523655}}

• twocats_wy
    18 years ago

p.s. I didn't see Xanndra's reply until after I posted mine. I am not familiar with the brand of unit you've purchased, so would defer to Xanndra's knowledge about its quality and reputation. My comments are limited to the room design issue...

• scott_sandiego
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Xanndra,

If you feel this is a junk insert, then what type of fireplace would you recommend? You were in the business for ten years your help would be greatly appreciated. You have the insight to what brands are good and bad. Or the simple solution would be to build a stone and brick fireplace. That is out of my budget.

Thanks Scott

• Switching2Wood
    18 years ago

I think it could not only look good, I think it could be a nice variation on the "flush with the wall" look.

I will add, however, that I think X is right - why put it in? It won't heat and it's not particularly well-built or safe.

For ambience?

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

How about a free-standing wood stove? They actually heat, they are easy to work on and replace and they are easier to put in a corner.

If you are stuck on a traditional-looking fireplace, then you should go with an EPA certified fireplace (you have an EPA exempt fireplace). There are many brands available: Napoleon, BIS, etc. They are, however more expensive. In this area, you DO get what you pay for.

• Brian02169
    18 years ago

To your question first: you might consider the size of the fireplace opening (36" x 24") relative to the width of the wall (48"). When it's all said and done, you'll only have about 6" of trim on each side, which may not be a pleasing proportion. Unless you're going to be enjoying the fireplace from quite far away (more than 12' or so, I'd guess), you may not need the "Superhearth" sized opening.

I don't think it's a bad look to have the fireplace extend into the room, especially if you can put furniture, bookshelves, etc. on each side to take up some of the space. But you can easily see for yourself: use cardboard boxes to "build" the fireplace, and use tape to mark the fireplace opening onto the front. (I find that planning in 3 dimensioins is always easier for me than in 2 -- I do this before buying new furniture, even.)

As to the other issues people raise, it's absolutely true that the Napolean, BIS, etc. will provide a cleaner, hotter fire because they're built more like wood stoves with a closed glass front (you look at the fire through the glass). There's better safety and less emmissions into the room. If you plan on using your fireplace even in part for heating -- so you'll build a roaring fire that burns for hours and hours -- then you should look more closely at these issues. The Majestic will eventually fail if you try to use it like a wood stove.

If, however, the fireplace is mostly for ambience, and you imagine building a normal fire in the evening for a few hours, these issues are less important. I for one prefer an open fire, even though I know I'm losing heat up the chimney and getting some amount of soot into the room....

• Hinterlander
    18 years ago

Scott: Don't install that firebox. I made the same mistake when I built my house. The builder installed a cheap Heatilator E42 firebox, and I have hated the thing from day one. No heat, drafty and useless. Spend a few bucks and get the EPA certified model. Regency makes one that can be ducted to supplement forced air heat. Might cost you a couple thousand bucks, but if you like to burn wood, you might as well get some heat out of it!

• taskmstrx
    18 years ago

To answer your question about the depth, that's exactly what we're doing, and then we will be building bookshelves on the sides. I sure hope it doesn't look bad. We considered the flush look, but really needed bookshelves for storage, tv, stereo stuff, etc, so we went with the fireplace sticking out into the room.

• mybundles1
    15 years ago

Hey there, just ran across this post. I was wondering how it all turned out. I just purchased a super hearth 36" and it will stick out. we will have bookshelves on both sides. But i am wondering if you were happy with the quality of the box. we only want it for looks and a few evening fires (Florida girl). we don't need the heat, Ha! Please let me know if you were happy. Thanks