Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pellet Stove Smoking in house following chimney cleaning

Posted by hartfordwoman (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 3:32

Hi - we had our chimney cleaned last year by some pretty shady looking characters. After they left our pellet stove started sending smoke into our house every time we lit it. It didn't stop after a few minutes or a few tries and only got worse. We called them back and they said it was nothing that they "did" - sure - and just couldn't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas? My husband called one local place and they want $300+ to come out and clean it. We really don't have that kind of money to spend right now. Hubby usually can fix anything but he seems to be intimidated by the "seals" in the stove - something about silicone caulking or something that holds things together? Please excuse me for not knowing any of the actual terms. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pellet Stove Smoking in house following chimney cleaning

It's likely that they pushed some flyash accumulation into places in the pellet stove creating a blockage. Unfortunately a proper disassembly and thorough cleaning is the only way to be sure the blockage(s) are removed and that it will be safe to operate. This is why I don't like pellet stoves and if you're looking for an automatic solid fuel heater (not a hand-loaded woodstove for example) I would always reccomend looking at coal stoker stoves. automatic coal stokers look much like a pellet stove with a few benefits; they require much less frequent attention and cleaning and in most cases they are a much more straightforward design - easier to clean when it needs it. Additionally, coal in most areas (ie eastern US) where it's available will cost about 1/2 what a pellet stove costs to operate - coal is much less expensive for the amount of heat produced, the fuel is about twice as dense as pellets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here