Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aspen trees for wood burning?

Posted by twotogo (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 23:19

Has anyone had any experience burning aspen in a wood stove? It is plentiful where we live and have heard some people say it is a good burning wood.
I never see it advertised however. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aspen trees for wood burning?

When I was a kid we burned aspen pretty much exclusively because that is what was available where we lived (northern Minnesota). It burns fine but has a lower btu output than other hardwoods (and probably some softwoods). You should pay a lot less for it than for something like oak.

o

As long as it's dry it burns very well. In New England we burn 'popple', (quaint folk name for poplar, aspen, etc) during the fall and spring. It burns hot and fast and is often enough to just take the chill out of the air without getting the house too hot. But, I wouldn't want to only have that in the dead of winter unless you like to babysit your stove and feed it every two hours.

o

Get some Hedge or Osage Orange and try that after burning Aspen for awhile. My parents have a wood furnace and burn hedge through the dead of winter and it is like burning coal, I don't think there is anything better for the cold of winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here