Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doorway Fans-Do they work??

Posted by sonny300 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 22:38

Anyone out there tried using doorway fans to circulate heat? If so, how well do they distribute heat from one room to another?? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doorway Fans-Do they work??

They work nicely.
You mount them high so they move the warm air. But will they actually heat other rooms? No. They just move the warm air away from the stove. I have one in my home and it's the best $30 I've spent.

o

Thanks Chris:

Actually I am going to mount one at the top of the doorway opposite wall from the fireplace (bout 12 feet away). That doorway leads to a second level wide staircase -42inches-.at the top of that stairway is a ceiling fan. which helps to push air up to the 3rd level. What I`m trying to do is move the warm air out of the rec-room which only has 7.6 ceiling and get it moving up the stairs where the ceiling fan in the entrance way will help to circulate it so we get some benefit in the living room on the third level. I have found that in previous winters if I turn the boiler on and heat the whole house, then the fireplace will help to maintain the heat upstairs without the boiler coming on for at least 4 hours. Hoping the doorway fan will make the entire process a little more efficient. Maybe??

o

I know a guy that has his stove on a lower level of his home and wanted to also move the warm air upward. He simply bought a couple brass floor grates and installed them. The hot air from the stove warmed the living area nicely just with those floor grates.

o

what is a doorway fan...pictures?

o

try this....

Here is a link that might be useful: fan

o

Thanks Chris:

The better half (wife) says there will be no cutting holes in our hardwood floors. Sadly, then the floor grates are out, that, by-the-way was my first plan until it got vetoed. The doorway fan is only 25 bucks so its worth a try. It should at least get the hot air moving out of the rec room and aiming towards the stairs. And there is a fan on the fireplace itself. Thanks for your input.

o

I use one and it helps to move some of the heat from the woodstove to the rest of the house. I'm going to add a second one and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here