Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tedalan

Pellet Prices

tedalan
17 years ago

I am new to the pellet fuel pricing, but, thought I'd pass along the local Lowes price for Vulcan pellets - $286 per ton. Seems a bit high for this early in the season. Anyone know if they ever go on sale? I also have a price from my Harman dealer of $240 per ton - which is what I will be buying.

Comments (8)

• minnow101
    17 years ago

Pellets will NOT go any lower this heating season and if like last year will go through the roof. This is one commondity that it does not pay off to wait. Where are you located in the country ? Pellet prices vary wildly depending on where you live.

• tedalan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds like that's going to be especially true this year with energy prices going through the roof. I live in the small town of Chambersburg PA - very close to Gettysburg. We actually have a large pellet manufacturing facility about 50 miles to the northeast (Penn Wood Products, Inc. East Berlin, PA) and I am trying to see if I can buy them direct. I will have all of my fuel (I hope) by the middle of September. I am still working on the storage solution - one ton in the garage and a ton in my shed - that's all the room I have.

• woodinvirginia
    17 years ago

Tractor Supply Company, Fredericksburg, Virginia $239.99 a ton or 4.90 a bag Saw them this morning.

Wow only the stove dealers were charging that high a price last winter.

Can't find a Pellet at Sam's Club this year either. Any other Virginians know where you can get these at a MORE reasonable price?

Please speakup before Septemeber 15.

• charlz
    17 years ago

I checked the other day at Home Depot here in Boise, Idaho. Last year Eureka pellets were going for $163.50 a ton at Home Depot, this year, brand unknown, I was quoted a price of around $285 a ton. She said the SKU was 'inactive' so that may or may not be the price when they actually have them in stock. I think a $120/ton jump in one year is just a little ridiculous. There is a D&B Supply (like TSC) selling the exact same pellets for $189/ton, last year they were at $172/ton.

I am think I should be stocking up at the $189/ton while there are some left.

• mikesj
    17 years ago

I pre-ordered 6 tons at $199/ton at the end of July- when I went to pick them up yesterday, the sales guy said that now they're selling for $215/ton. I'm glad that I paid for mine when I did. Last year they were going for $180-$185/ton in my area.

For me it's still better than heating with fuel oil, but if the price keeps going up like this each year forget it. This is only my second season heating with pellets and I love my stove and the heat it provides but I wouldn't buy one now or recommend one- at least not until manufacturers start catching up with demand. I'm afraid the days of picking up a few bags at Wal-Mart are gone.

Just curious, is there a pellet crunch in Canada or out West?

• charlz
    17 years ago

Just a followup. The Home Depot here in Boise now has pellets. They are selling Lignetics brand for $209/ton. D&B sells the same brand for $199/ton, Eureka brand for $189/ton and Bear Mountain for (IIRC) $209/ton.

Still better than my propane furnace ($1.979 for propane right now before the start of the heating season).

Charles

• berlin
    17 years ago

"Just curious, is there a pellet crunch in Canada or out West?"

no, we are producing enough to keep domestic prices low, however we live in a time of global markets. we are exporting much of the pellets we produce to europe. which is why anyone that lives near the anthricite coal region is foolish to buy a pellet stove when they could be burning clean burning and plentiful anthricite coal for much less $$

• franktank232
    17 years ago

I just paid $220/ton for Bear Mtn... My last bill had a therm of Natural Gas going for $.80 cents...

huh? Why did i buy this thing again. I'm waiting until the price of gas goes higher before i turn mine back on, i'm losing money!

Do the math...