Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Scratch on new fireplace insert

Posted by mszina (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 22:28

A Pacific Energy Summit insert was installed today when we were not home. When we got home, we noticed a very obvious and large scratch, down to the bare silver metal, on the bottom shelf (under the door). The scratch is on the front bend and is about two inches long. The installer wants to put some paint over the scratch. I do not think it is acceptable to purchase a brand new stove with paint over a scratch.

What is the longevity of paint over a scratch? I am worried that the heat will cause the paint to come off or the paint may not match. Since I am paying over four thousand dollars (installation included), I want my stove perfect to start. I feel any subsequent scratches should be caused by my husband!

I need advice. Should I let the installer put paint over the scratch or insist he replaces the scratched part?

Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Scratch on new fireplace insert

Your insert is painted with a high heat paint. You can get these paints at every stove shop. So for the installer to sand the unit and repaint it is perfectly OK. Some of these paints can withstand temperatures over 800 degrees. They are not your typical Krylon paint you get at the hardware store.

Your insert will get scratched during it's use anyway, so it's always a good idea to have a can around for touch ups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here