Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BTU output versus House Size

Posted by stacylu (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 07 at 21:10

We're about to spring for a gas insert but have heard differing opinions about size/BTU output.
One dealer said that 10,000 BTU for every 500 sq ft of house. One said it was more around 7000 BTU for every 500 sq ft of house because the literature was "marked up"...

So, for a 1500 sq ft house how big of an output do you really need? I realize with the turn down ability it's more flexible but we can fit either the medium or large Regency and aren't sure which would be better.

TIA
STacy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BTU output versus House Size

You did not mention what part of the country you live but if it were in and area such as Upper Michigan, speaking from experience, I would get the largest input possible...maybe in the neighborhood of 45,000 BTU. For example, I have a 28,000 BTU propane stove and it will not heat my cottage of 1,000 sq. feet adequatly when the temperatures get in the teens.

o
RE: BTU output versus House Size

Hey thanks for asking the question. I have a very similar one that I was going to post today. My house is 1300 sq feet. Its two levels. WIll the heat be adequate for the upstairs as well as the downstairs?? should I just get enoug BTU for the down stairs area will the gas stove will be????
Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here