Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrydenise

Can gas logs be used in a heatilator fireplace?

terrydenise
15 years ago

I want to use the fireplace to heat the house without having most of the heat drawn out the through the chimney.

I had a brick fireplace in my last house with gas logs and it heated the house wonderfully.

We had an ice storm last winter that took out the electricity for more than a week and if we had gas logs, it wouldn't have been so uncomfortable.

Can gas logs be installed in heatilators (big metal box)?

Comments (4)

• fandlil
    15 years ago

I think your best bet in getting an answer to your question is to contact the Heatilator manufacturer -- they should have a customer service 800 # -- and ask them. Be prepared with the model # of your unit when you call.

But don't be surprised if they give you a vague answer. That could be because they do not want to be sued if something goes wrong. (That's what we were told in a similar situation.) So if you get an answer that is not helpful, the next step would be to go to a gas logs contractor and tell him what you want to do and ask him if he has ever put in gas logs in your kind of setup. That should help you understand what your options are.

By the way, it might be helpful to you to search this forum for information on direct vent gas inserts. If you are interested in getting serious heat from your installation, that is the way to go. They are the best technology, highly efficient and have no adverse effect on indoor air quality. But they are expensive.

• terrydenise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    I've checked the cost of the direct vent gas inserts and they are expensive.
    I'll have to find the model number of this thing or find someone who knows how to install a gas pipe into the wall of this heatilator and make it more useful to me.

• dssxxxx
    15 years ago

Installed the Eiklor gas logs in our 42" heatilator.

We stuffed insulation in the heatilator slots and then matched a mortar to our existing bricks. We closed the 4 locations (4 or 5 slots).

Then installed the Eiklor. Gas line had already been run for start5ing the logs during the winter. The heat that the Eiklor logs throws off is 10X's better than what the heatilator returned. Plus the Eiklor was within a 1/2 hour the rec room was up to 79 and we had to turn the flame down.

Good luck.

• heimert
    15 years ago

I can't say it's true for all models, but the one I have, which we use to burn wood, has little knockouts for a gas line in the firebrick (or whatever it's called) that lines the box.

Sponsored
Innovative & CreativeGeneral Contractors Servicing Fairfax County, VA