Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct vent gas - newbie questions

Posted by n757jh (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 20:17

Hello, I'm a fireplace virgin and need some advice!

I'm looking at either a Heatilator Novus 30" (20,000/14,000) or Heat-N-Glo SL550TR (21,000/15,000), with Intellifire (I want the battery backup for heat when the power goes out). Both are about the same size, BTU and efficiency.

My home is a small ranch, about 1000 sq ft. The sunken living room is about 14 x 20 with a 12' vaulted ceiling shared with the 9 x 12 kitchen. There is a ceiling fan in the living room.

My questions are:

1 - Is the sizing correct, or should I go with an even smaller model? I want to be able to sit and watch the fire without having it overheat the space.

2 - I don't plan to add the fireplace fan, the sunken floor (colder air) and ceiling fan should provide good circulation. Is this right?

3 - Is the optional refractory just for looks, or does it add to efficiency, or length of life of the unit? Just seems like another part that needs to be maintained/periodically replaced and better left off.

4 - The vent can be installed either horizontally or vertically. Is one more desireable/efficient than the other?

5 - The fireplace slides into its framed space from the front. Is access to the side via a panel or door needed for servicing? Or would the fireplace be pulled out again?

6 - I'm on a budget and tempted by the Heatilator over the HnG. What are the differences? Will one last longer, be less expensive to maintain, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct vent gas - newbie questions

Hopefully, the pros will chime in, but I'll try to help answer some of your questions...

1 - Is the sizing correct, or should I go with an even smaller model? I want to be able to sit and watch the fire without having it overheat the space.

Not sure about the sizing, but I would recommend a thermastat in any case.

2 - I don't plan to add the fireplace fan, the sunken floor (colder air) and ceiling fan should provide good circulation. Is this right?

IMO, ceiling fan should be OK.

5 - The fireplace slides into its framed space from the front. Is access to the side via a panel or door needed for servicing? Or would the fireplace be pulled out again?

No service panel. You will have access below the unit for lighting the pilot and gas line connection. Unit would have to be pulled out if required. Very unlikely.

Enjoy your new fp!

-jasper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here