Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n757jh

Direct vent gas - newbie questions

n757jh
16 years ago

Hello, I'm a fireplace virgin and need some advice!

I'm looking at either a Heatilator Novus 30" (20,000/14,000) or Heat-N-Glo SL550TR (21,000/15,000), with Intellifire (I want the battery backup for heat when the power goes out). Both are about the same size, BTU and efficiency.

My home is a small ranch, about 1000 sq ft. The sunken living room is about 14 x 20 with a 12' vaulted ceiling shared with the 9 x 12 kitchen. There is a ceiling fan in the living room.

My questions are:

1 - Is the sizing correct, or should I go with an even smaller model? I want to be able to sit and watch the fire without having it overheat the space.

2 - I don't plan to add the fireplace fan, the sunken floor (colder air) and ceiling fan should provide good circulation. Is this right?

3 - Is the optional refractory just for looks, or does it add to efficiency, or length of life of the unit? Just seems like another part that needs to be maintained/periodically replaced and better left off.

4 - The vent can be installed either horizontally or vertically. Is one more desireable/efficient than the other?

5 - The fireplace slides into its framed space from the front. Is access to the side via a panel or door needed for servicing? Or would the fireplace be pulled out again?

6 - I'm on a budget and tempted by the Heatilator over the HnG. What are the differences? Will one last longer, be less expensive to maintain, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment (1)