Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

HELP! Chimney Leaning Away From House Just Noticed

eldemila
14 years ago

We made an offer on a house which the bank accepted. Went to see the house on Friday (hadn't seen it since June 30th, live out of state) and noticed that the chimney is leaning away from the house.

Went on line today to see what this means, I live in SOFLA and there's no need for chimneys there, so I'm very unfamiliar with them (posted this fact previously)

I read the correct fix for this problem is to drive steel piers into the earth until adequate soil density is reached. Steel piers are minimally invasive. It's always cheaper to install steel piers than to rebuild the chimney.

The fireplace is down in the finished basement which has mold and smells really musty. I thought this was possibly due to one or more of the problems I saw down there - one being the window has a broken pane, or when they pulled out the washer, maybe the water leaked on to the carpet, or possible plumbing problems in the 1/2 bath down there. Not to mention, the house is closed up without any air conditioning and it being summer.

Now I'm wondering if water is getting in this gap?

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it as mentioned above? If so, can you tell me how much it cost and how the fix is holding up since it was done?

I may have to resind my offer to purchase this house. It's an AS IS purchase and I figured what I needed to spend to put this house in a habitable condition for my family and this and another issue we just found is NOT in the budget.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (2)