Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace/Firebox/Insert Confusion

Posted by paco6945 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 16:55

I'm confused (which isn't unusual).

What is the difference between a fireplace, a firebox, and an insert? We are just starting construction and I'm not interested in a fireplace for heat (we're in central Texas), but I do want something for ambience in the living room. I also don't want gas logs, but am looking at alternatives like the glass from ExoticFlames.com, ceramic stones, etc.

What do I need to buy for the place where the fire will be? I'm looking for direct vent (or ventless) and without a glass screen (something like the corner fireplace in the first picture here: Corner Fireplace

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace/Firebox/Insert Confusion

IMO, do not go ventless! The combustion products (ideally) are carbon dioxide and water vapor, and in central Texas, you don't need to be adding more humidity inside you're home, do you?

o

A fireplace is the fire box and surround.

The fire box is the box portion of the fireplace where the fire actually burns.

An insert is a stand alone unit that gets placed inside the fire box.

IMO - I always like a fully vented fireplace (rated to burn wood with a gas line plumbed into it). This will give you maximum flexibility to change what products you put into the fireplace anytime you want.

o

We have a free standing fireplace. With heating oil prices may consider an insert. Any imput would be appreciated, tia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here