Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing graffiti from slate?

Posted by carlab44 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 16:54

This is one of my first posts here, and I wasn't sure the appropriate forum in which to post my question. We are in the process of a complete home remodel and are trying to go as "green" as possible. We found a salvage store that has some pieces of slate we are considering using for our fireplace hearth and surround. The pieces are large, however they have some graffiti on them. We actually haven't seen them in person, only in photos so before making the trip to the salvage store I was hoping to get some information as to whether or not it is possible to remove old graffiti from slate. And if so, could someone give me some tips on how to go about it?

Also, would we want to put any sort of finish on the slate if it will be used as a fireplace hearth?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing graffiti from slate?

It will depend on if it is just surface paint or soaked into the stone but I have had good luck with a good powerwasher. In particular I have a pulsing rotary head that has been good with paint spots on my limstone pavers.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here