Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

kozy heat insert

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

Its a Jackson series. Nothing fancy here, just a black insert with blower and thermostat for about $3k installed with first hundred gallons of propane. I had asked about this brand a year ago and got little respose. I thought I'd try again before I bite the bullet. They claim it will heat 1500 sq ft. We are buying more for ambience but a toasty warm FR would be nice too. I have a heat pump as my main source of heat. I figure running this will lower my heat bill a bill a little but I likely will pay a LITTLE bit more when you factor the propane in---hopefully not much more. Below 32 degress, I wonder if it will be cheaper than my heat pump?

Comments, opinions, another brand I should be look at etc etc....

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• lookinforahearth
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

KozyHeat seems to have a good reputation from what I have heard. I have been looking into woodburning, but reputation is reputation, no matter the fuel.

For more feedback, you might try Hearth.com. There is a section there where hearth owners post ratings/reviews of stoves, inserts, zero clearance fireplaces of all fuel types. There are a few reviews of KozyHeat there. And you may run into other brands for propane inserts to look into.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks, will do...suprised there are not more comments here!

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Andre-I was surprised at the lack of Kozy Heat comments as well. We could not find any negative comments anywhere, so if people were unhappy, I think we would read about the bad stuff. We decided to buy the Kozy Heat Minnetonka DV after looking at too many models & brands! It is replacing an ugly, old wood burner that was a hazard for a variety of reasons. The Kozy Heat was installed a few weeks ago - we still have alot of work left for the remodel part and it is 95 degrees here, so it was only burning to test it. The flame is very nice. We also have a Regency freestanding DV in another part of the house, so we do have some basis for comparison. Our needs are similar to yours. You will definitely feel warmer then your heat pump. We lose electricity alot, so one of the criteria was the ability to run the KozyHeat w/out power and be able to easily unplug the internal blower and plug into a portable generator - (our model's blower is not hard wired.) I think we made the right choice for us.
    Hope this helps.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks!

• sassy-45
    16 years ago

I was also looking into the Kozy pellet insert. Don't know anything about them and wondering how they are compaired to the Harmon pellet insert

• garyg
    16 years ago

"I figure running this will lower my heat bill a little but I likely will pay a LITTLE bit more when you factor the propane in---hopefully not much more."

- Andre: I've been reading your posts on this issue for almost a year now and have provided many reponses. I'm not sure why I keep wasting my time. You're about to learn about heating costs the hard way. What is your payback time on purchasing a $3000 fireplace and burning expensive propane while trying to save electricity using a brand new high efficiency heat pump with low Northeast PA electric rates? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Do you even have a clue?

"Below 32 degress, I wonder if it will be cheaper than my heat pump?"

- You need to stop wondering, and start doing the math. I would do it for you, but you need to learn how do it yourself. How much is electricity in your area? How much is propane in your area? What is the heating value of electricity (3413 btus/kw-hr)? What is the heating value of propane (86,000 btus/gallon)? What is the efficiency of the propane fireplace? Efficiency of electric resistance heat (100%)? How do you compare costs for using propane versus the cost of using the heat pump versus the cost of back-up electric resistance heat based on efficiency and heating content of the various types of heat? Once you figure out the above questions, you'll have your answer, instead of wondering about it. Many a lesson is learned the hard way.

• lookinforahearth
    16 years ago

As to comparing electric vs propane costs, the national propane association website has a calculator (google to find the site). User gets to plug in price per kilowat for electricity, price per gallon for propane, house size, and press submit. The calculator will do the math and show you which is better deal in your area. You DO need to find out your local cost per kilowatt for electricity and propane per gallon cost.

If you know the name of your propane company and it is one of the big nationals, there may be a link to the calculator from their website.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gargy

Without doing ALL the math (but some) and speaking with PPL and UGI and Propane Companies and some folks at a local insert shops I discovered that electricity WILL be cheaper to heat my home here in easter PA. Costs are going up 30% though over the next few years but even if propane stays the same price (it will likely go up as well), interestingly enough it looks like the electricity will still be cheaper!

The heat pump will provide a more uniform heat through the house---since the home was designed for it. There is no guarantee of that with the insert.

Natural gas would be less than propane and if I had it in my area I still might opt for the extra expense to have warmer heat...if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I am back to square one. To heck with the heat issue---looks like we are using our heat pump. STILL, my wife wants a nice little 'stink free' fire to look at a couple of hours a night. Whats it going to cost me? The price I pay will be in addition to my electric bill. A gas log sets gets the job done in the 'pretty fire to look at dept'. Will an insert pay for itself over time though buy using less gas (allbeit a higher initial cost)? If I am understanding things.....probably not--if I use it only a couple of hours a night! I posted this in the Heating and cooling arena....here is my perpective, perhaps it is still flawed.

Lets see if I now have the propper perspective on this. My wife wanted to install a gas log set in our fireplace for an occasional (5 - 15 hours a week?) fire to look at and enjoy, not necesarily for heat. Note we have a heat pump for that as well as an electric bill to go with it and I was not looking for an additional substantial propane bill each month. We went to look at log sets and also saw inserts which are suppose to be much more efficient. The $$$$ in my head went of thinking that if the inserts are
    way more effiecient, then the cost of gas savings with the insert compared to log set might actually pay for the insert over time. Plus we'd get some extra heat out of the deal. If I could figure out how long the payback would be I
    could decide if the insert or log set was the way to go. If I could figure put what my monthly cost would be I could also determine if we could afford either!

I quickly assertained that a 24 inch gas log set, running on HIGH, would likely consume about a gallon an hour or about $3 and hour here in eastern PA. 15 hours a week would cost us about $180 a month. Whooooooaaaaa! Thats way to much for a pretty fire. So I tried to figure out how much gas the insert would use for the same period of time, 15 hours a week, a few hours a night. I was told it would consume about the same amount of gas if used in that manner. I was puzzled. I thought they were so much more efficient....?

It was explained that the efficiency comes with the heat the unit gives off. If I wanted my room at 70 degress, it is likley the gas log set might run 3 hours to get it there consuming 3 gallons. The insert might have the job done
    in an hour thus saving 2 gallons of propane. Thats not exactly the way I was hoping the efficiency would work. I was hoping the insert would actually allow us to have the same fire but instead, use that one gallon of gas over a
    3 hour period. If the first assumption is indeed correct then I am getting the feeling that the only way to make this anywhere near cost effective is if I start to use the insert as my primary heat source, running it all the time
    (12+ hours a day). Doing so should eventually allow the heat to permiate thru the house, my heat pump should go off and I should now start to see a reduction in my electric bill offsetting my new propane bill...if lucky it would be a dollar for dollar match against the cost of propane. Does this sound right? However, if I simply run the insert just 2 hours a day, it will never warm the whole house so the heat pump will continue to run and I end up with essentially an electric bill for heat and a propane bill for a pretty fire?

Do I have all this right or am I way off on my calculations regarding the cost of using these things a few hours a night?

• snortua
    8 years ago

I have a Kozy Heat wood fireplace and am not happy with it at all! After 2 yrs it started to rust the company did nothing said I must be burning something other than wood which is not true so now I have to paint it every yr as the rust continues to come back