Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Victorian fireplace remodel

Posted by jblueberry (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 15:44

Hello! Our San Francisco Victorian (circa 1890) has a lovely wood-burning brick fireplace, however, as we are in an earthquake zone, we need to remove the bricks. We also want to change over to a clean-burning fireplace insert. My main concern is the mantle design. I want to stay true to the period. Currently, it is a brick mantle that feels a bit like a French farmhouse. I know pretty much nothing about Victorian mantles, but I found an antique wooden mantle from the same time period that was removed from a mansion in Pacific Heights. It needs some restoring, but it's very much Victoriain - more decorative and delicate with an attached, framed mirror above the mantle. I wonder, would this be... tacky or out of character with the rest of the house? The last thing I want to do is damage the integrity of our Victorian. I would appreciate any advice. I can provide photos.

Thanks!
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Victorian fireplace remodel

I think cast iron in a satin finish black would blend in nicely with Victorian style. Check the jotul product line on their website. The parts are made in Norway and assembled in Maine. We have their gas direct vent insert that performs beautifully. Very high quality, nice subdued styling. For more suggestions post your questions in the chat room at hearth.com.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here