Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosiermom_2009

Are brick fireplaces out of style?

hoosiermom_2009
14 years ago

We are building a new home that will have a gas fireplace and we are trying to figure out the design. We definately want a raised hearth and are leaning towards using the same brick we will have on the exterior of our home (tannish color) with a wooden mantle and wooden legs, most likely painted white. It seems like many people are painting over their brick or using stone tiles rather than brick.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I guess it depends on what you like. I am covering my brick. It seems country to me. If you like it, go for it. If it fits with your decor, home style, neighborhood or whatever. I am feeling radical, lol, and decided to do a pottery barn/urban loft feeling, although I'm reining it in a little as reality sinks in. Anyway, brick fireplace doesn't fit in with my decor choice. You can see pics of mine in the thread about hearth higher than fireplace floor from today.

• garyg
    14 years ago

I have a floor-to-ceiling masonry brick fireplace with insert. I like the natural unpainted brick look. It's classic.

• jairwin1
    14 years ago

Like lisaslists2000 says, if you like the brick look, go for it. If you decide in a few years that you don't like it, you can reface over the brick easily, as I did with mine (veneer stack stone, wooden mantle with drywall above it). However if you are going with it only to match the outside of your home, don't feel obligated to do so. There are very many different modern looks you can go for that will still have a cohesive style.

• kellykath
    14 years ago

In the right style house, I don't think brick ever goes out of style. With beautiful white mouldings brick looks beautiful!

• leafy02
    14 years ago

I'm thinking of painting all or part of my brick fireplace wall white, but only because that end of the room is quite dark, the other end is quite light, so the room feels cold and off-balance instead of warm.

As others have said, I don't think brick ever goes out of style in a traditional-style home. It's more the decor that people put around it that says "country" or not. And even so, there's French country, Tuscan country, etc.--there's always *some* version of country that people are enjoying.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

I cringe when people paint over brick. Just me. And the next guy that buys your home will try to strip it off, and so the cycle begins.

• joe_mn
    14 years ago

brick or rock? my BIL has craftsman style 4500sq/ft house. 11ft ceiling family room. corner fireplace with full height river rock. 6-10" pieces. looks like a rock climbing wall to me. LOL. i have grown used to it over the years. that being said, it really comes down to the house style. does it fit in well with the look you are going for.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years