Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who installs gas fireplace line?

Posted by crazigirl80 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 14:14

we want to add a gas fireplace to our old brick one. Who do I call to put in a line? No clue.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who installs gas fireplace line?

Here in central North Carolina, we could have the gas company put it in. If we buy the gas logs unit from them, they put in the gas line free (Of course, the price is buried in the price of the gas logs). But if you ask them to put in the gas line only, because you're buying the gas logs from someone else, the gas company charged an astronomical price. I forgot what it was, but it was out of the question.

Some gas logs installers will put in the gas line for you, if they have a license that allows them to do that. But there are plumbers who have taken the necessary extra training (and certification, maybe) to work on gas lines. And their prices are generally more reasonable than the gas company.

You need to ask around. In your particular location, the situation may differ from ours.

Incidentally, if you're planning to put gas into your fireplace, you should seriously consider a Direct Vent system, which is highly energy efficient and does not adversely affect indoor air quality. You might also qualify for a generous TAX CREDIT, I think up to $1500, depending on what you buy. Vendors of these units know all about the tax credit, and can tell you about it in detail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here