Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost to rebuild fireplace

Posted by salbwil (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 12, 06 at 14:04

Hi,
I have a 1978 heatilator ( metal unit with brick face) fireplace that has never worked right. It smokes, and has a few other problems that I won't go into here, but I would like to either rebuild and make a conventional fireplace , or install a wood burning insert.I know I will need to line my chimney and raise it ( smoke issue), but have no idea how much of a project this whole mess will be. Can someone give me a clue as to how much this will cost?
Many thanks, salbwil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost to rebuild fireplace

greetings from Texas salbwil,
personally I would not recoment a woodburning insert into the old heatilator UNLESS, what you are calling a heatilator is actually the old masonry insert which is just a steel plate three sided box with 2 blowers mounted (usually in the hearth that push out air in slits in the brick over the fireplace. If thats the case the fireplace is called a heat form and its perfectly fine to install an insert into. and really not that big of a deal in the install. If the fireplace is truely a zero clearance unit called a heatilator I would recomend updating to a newer unit. And if you are looking for an actuall heating unit I would recomend looking at EPA certified fireplaces or even a free standing wood stove in its place, without seeing the situation first hand its hard to tell you a true direction in which to go. If you would like to email some pics I would be glad to look at them and then make recomendations as to what I would do if I were you.

o
RE: cost to rebuild fireplace

Hi rick,
Fireplace sounds like the first one you described with " soldier course" across top line of bricks and fans installed . The fireplace is the widest they made at the time ....4' opening. The man that built and installed the fireplace has since lost his license in our city as a few of those he did had wall fires, so I cannot use the same mason.
Thanks for your help,
Salbwil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here