Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firewood storage question

Posted by bri0822 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 13:06

Does anyone know if it is ok to store stacked firewood on a concrete patio? Will leaving the wood on concrete cause moisture problems? Must the would be kept on a rack? There's plenty of room on my back patio for stacking wood so I'd like to skip the racks unless it causes a problem.

If racks are a must, any ideas of good brands? (The ones I had previously rusted fast.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firewood storage question

You do want to have either a vapor barrier such as plastic sheeting beneath the wood or an airspace. Expensive racks usually do not hold very much wood, so look for inexpensive used pallets to raise the firewood above the concrete. Also, try to avoid direct contact between the firewood and the house siding, whatever it is. Moisture and insects can be a real problem.

o

Besides people spamming the boards to sell you something you can get locally, here's what I consider to be a cheap and efficient solution.

Go to the lumber store and get some 2x4s. Lay them on edge in two rows and stack the wood on the boards. This way you get air flowing beneath. Your wood should already be seasoned so that should eliminate creosote to a major degree. I put about a half cord at a time on my covered front porch and I use the 2x4s. Those of us in Vermont who use our woodstove for primary heat do this all the time.

If your patio isn't covered, get a sheet of luaun and cut it to the size of the stack. This keeps the rain off it while still letting it breathe.

o

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. Christopherh- I like that idea of just stacking on 2x4s. I plan to get a small rack for my porch for the wood I'll be burning immediately, but the 2x4s sound good for long term storage of the big wood supply.

o

I have one of these adjustable log racks. I use 8' 2x4s, but you could use shorter lengths for the wood you keep near your house for your ready supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable log racks

o

Kymikel,

Thanks for posting the HD link. I'm a novice at this and it's my first fireplace. I had never thought about these issues before.

Thx,
Xtal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here