Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quartz or granite scrap for hearth? Will it work?

Posted by mcubed (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 12:27

Hi all - We have two fireplaces in our house that are fairly clean-lined and contemporary. When we remodeled our house 3 years ago, we just painted over the brick hearth as a temporary solve. We are now to the point we want to start taking care of some of these details. I was wondering if laying a slab of quartz or granite will work. We are currently having quartz counters being laid in our kitchen so that's what sparked this idea. The clean, simplicity of it would look great - especially in quartz since it's more uniform. I thought maybe we can see what scraps/bits the stone yard has and have them fit for our two fireplaces. Please let me know your thoughts and any tips or things we would need to look out for.

Thanks, in advance!

Kristy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quartz or granite scrap for hearth? Will it work?

It would absolutely work. Most stoneyards and fabricators have remnants from other jobs that they are all too happy to sell. A couple of things: First, make sure you have considered if you need the slabs to be edged and/or edges polished so that you don't end up with an unfinished edge showing on the front and sides. Second, the quartz and granite will both handle the heat well but be carefull that there is no "flaw"(veins, seams, cracks) in front of the firebox - the expansion and contraction caused by the temperature swing could cause a flaw to open up.

o
RE: Quartz or granite scrap for hearth? Will it work?

Oh, that is great news! I will be very careful about flaws - thanks for bringing that to my attention. I am so excited that this will work. I appreciate your time in getting back to me!

Kristy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here