Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creosote on brick fireplaces

Posted by spiritual_gardner (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 10:45

I just had a sweep come to do my brick fireplace. He informed me of the creosote that accumulated on the upper area of the chimney, which could cause a fire.

He also said that cleaning it would do no good and that it needs to be coated on the inside with something (sorry, can't remember what) that will prevent the creosote from building up, and, doing this will cost $800.00. When he said that, I said I would think about it.

I always thought that there was nothing but brick for the chimney, although, I could be wrong. Has anyone experienced this???

Thanks,

SG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creosote on brick fireplaces

Your chimney should have a clay liner inside the brick chimney. The clay liner is installed in sections with mortar in between the sections. If it doesn't have a clay liner, it is ancient. How old is the chimney?

"...that will prevent the creosote from building up.."
- Burning seasoned hardwood, burning hot fires, using a hi-efficiency insert. These are the things that minimize creosote.

o
RE: Creosote on brick fireplaces

Thanks Garyg for your response!

I have put my hands on the inspection (forgot that it was available, sorry).

Anyway, it states: "Chimney smoke chamber has large build up of creosote. Recommend ROE cleaning and smoke tite application in smoke chamber".

The house was built in the 50's. I have had a different sweep 4 years ago tell me that the thing does not need to be swept every year for how much I use it (I think I use it a lot, at least 4-5 nights a week). I have had the house 5 years.

Last year I did make the HUGE mistake of burning some cedar that was left next to the road. I USUALLY only burn well seasoned wood (maple, oak, or hickory).

Thanks,

SG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here