Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smoke backdraft

Posted by Jeb17 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 10:07

I own an older home with 2 fireplaces. Fireplace 1 is on second floor with approx. 20foot chimney of brick. Old owner removed damper so flue is open all the time. (Another issue). Smoke flows into room when burning fire from start to finish. Weather occasionally helps but does not eliminate problem.
Middle of open field so no trees to block airflow. Flue is at least 10" in diameter. Opening windows doesn't seem to help and house is very well ventilated. Tried burning further back in firebo and burning newspaper first to heat chimney but no help. Have standard chimney cap with lots space avove chimney opening.
Tried so much and no luck! Any tips greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smoke backdraft

Go to Hearth.com and post over there. Those guys are experts and I know they will have the solution. The link to the forums is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hearth.com Forums

o

You can add an extra flue tile on top. That should improve the draft. (I had to do that to one of mine. I later bricked around it to make it look better.) You checked for obstructions already, correct?

o

No obstructions. Recently cleaned. Possible that a brick is missing part way up the flue. Told its not a fire risk by inspection but wonder if this could affect draw? If I add another flue tile I'd likely have to raise the others as well no? As well as chimney cap. I'm not sure thats an option but I appreciate the post! Will also post at hearth.com
Thanks!

o

We had friends with this problem. They installed an exhaust fan in the chimney which runs when there is a fire. It solved the problem immediately.
Renais

o

You -> Possible that a brick is missing part way up the flue. Told its not a fire risk by inspection but wonder if this could affect draw?

Me -> This sounds like your flue doesn't consist of flue tile or other type of lining; it's just a brick opening. In this case a missing brick could affect the draw.

This fireplace is on the 2nd floor, correct? If both chimneys are at the same elevation above the roof, then this one will have a shorter run than the one on the first floor. Adding a tile to increase it's run would increase the draft and should have no affect on the others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here