Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovethosepalms

Pellet/insert/installation questions, Just need help.

lovethosepalms
15 years ago

Needing advice on Pellet Fireplace Inserts, I have been looking around the web and trying to decide on which brand of insert I should get and I am getting so confused, I really donÂt know which way is up. I really would like to get one that would burn multi-fuel, if pellets were hard to get and then I would switch to corn or another fuel. But what I am reading the ones that do multi-fuel may not be the best choice. And the features, some say get the one with a room thermostat other manufactures state donÂt get one that has a thermostat. Like I said I am so confused as which brand to purchase.

The other question I have and it may depend on the insert, but the installation is also confusing to me. I have a brick masonry fireplace the front of the opening is 44 inches wide and 30" deep, we have used it for building a fire in it but only a couple of times because itÂs just too hard to clean and maintain, so you can say now it is only used for looks. So here comes the questions, will we have to install a liner? Will we have to run a pipe through the fireplace and out the top of the chimney? Next question I see that we might also might need another pipe also ran up the chimney for a fresh air intake is this true?

Like I said I am confused, both on a model and manufacture, and I sure am confused about the instillation. I think I am going to look around locally just to see what is available, but I sure would like to know what models you guys are using and what you had to do to install your insert, I donÂt mind spending the money on the fireplace or installation, but if you just stick it in the fireplace opening and seal around it I would be a sick puppy when that is something I could have done myself.

Sorry if any of these questions are just plain dumb but if you donÂt know the answers, then maybe they are not dumb questions.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz